PURGEABLE ENCLOSURE INSTRUMENT ACCESS DOORS Model Number Matrix
Model Number Matrix
The Model Number Segments below specify standard features and options for our Purgeable Instrument Access Doors. Please note limitations to various selections apply as indicated by an asterisk and note number in red text.
Click question symbols below for more information on any particular item.
Typical Model Number:
|1 – Product Series|
|PIAD||Purgeable Instrument Access Doors|
|2 – Window Size Range|
|AA||4-12" Hinge Side Span & 4-12" Adjacent Sides Span *1|
|AB||4-12" Hinge Side Span & 12-24" Adjacent Sides Span|
|AC||4-12" Hinge Side Span & 24-36" Adjacent Sides Span|
|BA||12-24" Hinge Side Span & 4-12" Adjacent Sides Span|
|BB||12-24" Hinge Side Span & 12-24" Adjacent Sides Span|
|BC||12-24" Hinge Side Span & 24-36" Adjacent Sides Span|
|CA||24-36" Hinge Side Span & 4-12" Adjacent Sides Span|
|CB||24-36" Hinge Side Span & 12-24" Adjacent Sides Span|
|CC||24-36" Hinge Side Span & 24-36" Adjacent Sides Span|
Window Size equates to the viewing area of your Purgeable Instrument Access Door, which is based upon your device bezel or total area you wish to cover. To determine your Window Size, measure the height and width of the device bezel or total square area you wish to protect and add one (1) inch to the overall height and width. You may then multiple those two numbers to determine the square inches you require and select the appropriate PIAD Window Size range.
FREE SPACE FOR PIAD MOUNTING:
We recommend adding ten inches (10″) to your device bezel height and width to determine how much free space will be required to ensure you have adequate clearance on all sides of your device or protected area to mount the Purgeable Instrument Access Door. If you have any questions, please see our Sizing Guides & Specifications Page for more information or contact a Best Purging Systems Corporation Sales Associate for assistance!
|3 – PIAD NEMA Rating|
|4X||NEMA 4X *2|
Best Purging Systems offers NEMA 12, 4 and 4X ratings to meet the specific parameters of your particular application. A NEMA 12 rating provides protection against dust and non-corrosive dripping liquids, and is intended for indoor applications that will not be subjected to wash-down. A NEMA 4 rating provides protection against extreme rain and washdown, and is intended for outdoor applications. When addressing severely corrosive outdoor environments, we recommend 316 Stainless Steel Material and the NEMA 4X rating, but regardless of the NEMA rating you select, the options of 304 or 316 Stainless Steel material are recommended if the surrounding atmosphere contains any level of corrosive gases, dusts or vapors whether your PIAD is located in an indoor or outdoor location.
Selecting the correct NEMA rating is an extremely critical decision that will greatly impact the overall performance and life span of your Purgeable Instrument Access Door. Please therefore review our NEMA Ratings information on our Optional Features page for more information and contact a Best Purging Systems Sales Associate or Technical Advisor if you have any questions or concerns regarding the selection of an appropriate NEMA rating.
|4 – PIAD Depth (Internal Clearance)|
|2||2" Depth (Standard) *3|
INTERIOR CLEARANCE OR DEPTH
As another critical element of proper sizing, please note the standard depth of Best Purging Systems Instrument Access Doors, as measured from the surface of your protected enclosure to the rear side of the window is two inches (2″). This is adequate for most panel mounted devices, but if you need additional depth, please be sure to select either 3″ or 4″ if sufficient or contact us to express your special interior clearance requirement!
|5 – 1st Digit: Mounting Frame & Door Material|
|C||14 Gauge Carbon Steel *4|
|S||14 Gauge 304 Grade Stainless Steel|
|X||14 Gauge 316 Grade Stainless Steel|
|U||Custom Material *6|
As one of the most significant advantages of purchasing a Purgeable Instrument Access Door from Best Purging Systems Corporation, we offer a wide variety of materials to best match the material and finish of your protected enclosure! Consider the material of your protected enclosure when making this Segment selection, and note the only limitation is selection of carbon steel material in combination with a NEMA 4X rating in Segment 3. By requesting matching materials, you ensure that the corrosion resistance integrity of the protected enclosure is equalled in all respects by the Purgeable Instrument Access Door.
|5- 2nd Digit: Window Material|
|G||1/4″ Safety Glass|
|W||1/4″ Wire Reinforced Safety Glass *5|
|U||Custom Material *6|
When choosing your window material please consider the following factors in relation to the requirements for your particular application: Lexan™ Margard™ MR-10 has the highest degree of impact resistance, at a ratio of nearly 10:1 when compared to laminated or wire reinforced safety glass across a broad spectrum of various conditions. Laminated safety glass has the maximum degree of transparency and resistance to UV rays, and along with wire reinforced safety glass is extremely scratch resistant.
However, Laminated and Wire Reinforced Safety Glass are not available in our two largest Window Size Ranges, due to a tendency to crack when flexed or twisted along the axis of any unhinged side. Temperature resistance of all three materials is similar, but Lexan™ Margard™ MR-10 is far less likely to crack upon impact at extreme temperatures, and does not shatter upon impact like laminated or wire reinforced safety glass. For more information about each window material and assistance in selecting the right material for your application, please contact a Sales Associate.
|6 – Mounting Frame & Door Finish|
|1||Black Powder Coat|
|2||Custom Color Powder Coat|
|3||Grain Parallel to Hinge (Stainless Steel only)|
|4||Grain Perpendicular to Hinge (Stainless Steel only)|
|U||Custom Finish *6|
As yet another significant advantage of purchasing a Purgeable Instrument Access Door from Best Purging Systems Corporation, we offer a variety of finishes to complement your protected enclosure! But when details matter, we can offer virtually any finish you desire, including custom powder coat colors, along with anodized, passivated or nickel-plated finishes! Simply select Custom Finish for this segment of your PIAD Model Number, and supply your special requirements to us in writing to get the process started.
|7A – 1st Digit: Latch Style|
|A||Black Polyester Powder Coated Die Cast Zinc *7|
|X||Electro-Polished 316 Grade Stainless Steel|
Best Purging Systems provides hand, tool or key operated vice-action compression latches with two material options to meet your particular needs for durability and corrosion resistance. The black powder coated die cast zinc latch is best suited for our powder coated carbon steel frame and door material option. It is our most popular latch, economical and salt spray tested, but may not survive extremely corrosive environments. The electro-polished 316 stainless steel latches are best suited for 304 or 316 grade stainless steel mounting frame and door material options, and offer the highest level of durability against extremely corrosive environments. However, you are encouraged to select the latch material of your choice, and due to their outstanding durability, no limitations are applied to their selection.
|7 - 2nd Digit: Latch Operator|
|K||Key Operated *8|
|T||Tool Operated *9|
Best Purging Systems provides hand, tool or key operated vice-action compression latches to secure your Purgeable Instrument Access Door, which are all acceptable for Type Y & Z purging and pressurization applications. In regard to the use of Hand Operated Latches for Type X applications, it is important to determine if an exception to NFPA 496 Section 5.5.2 is permissible by your Safety Management Team or Authority Having Jurisdiction or critical to proper operation of the devices protected by the Purgeable Instrument Access Door. Otherwise, in accordance with this NFPA 496 requirement, all devices within the protected enclosure that are not suitable for the Hazardous (classified) Area in the absence of Type X pressurization must be de-energized prior to opening the Purgeable Instrument Access Door. However, if you select Key or Tool Operated Latches, they are totally compliant with this important NFPA 496 requirement!
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REQUIREMENTS:
To request a quote or place an order, we will require four additional bits of information, as follows, that may be supplied as notes accompanying any RFQ or PO.
- The actual Window Height you require in inches. Please note we accept increments as small as 0.125″ (1/8″), but the size must be within a range of 4 to 36 inches maximum, unless you require a custom size PIAD.
- The actual Window Width you require in inches. Like the height dimension, please note we accept increments as small as 0.125″ (1/8″), but the size must be within a range of 4 to 36 inches maximum, unless you require a custom size PIAD.
- The hinge location, specified as either the left or right side or the top or bottom.
- As an option, if you selected a 304 or 316 Stainless Steel Material with a grain direction that will be parallel or perpendicular to the hinge, please specify the direction of the grain (as either horizontal or vertical) that you require to match the direction of your enclosure grain, if applicable.
- We also encourage you to send us any drawings or documents that may assist us to ensure your PIAD will fit properly and meet your needs.
Please note that items 3 & 4 above are requested to ensure we build your PIAD in exact accordance with your requirements and to verify the PIAD Size Range and PIAD Finish you selected above. You may rest assured we’ll send you a drawing for approval before we get started or contact you if we suspect any potential issues.
* MODEL NUMBER SELECTION NOTES:
- Selection of PIAD Size Range is based on two letters. The first letter determines the span of the hinged side of your PIAD. The second letter determines the span of the adjacent sides. Please note this selection has no bearing on your actual hinge location.
- Corresponding with selection of NEMA 4X, we recommend selection of Electro-Polished 316 Grade Stainless Steel Latch Material in Segment 7 for highly corrosive atmospheres.
- Selection of PIAD Depth determines the internal clearance from the rear side of the window to the panel surface. 2″ Depth is standard, and 3″ and 4″ Depths are available at a slightly increased cost.
- Carbon Steel Material may not be selected in combination with a NEMA 4X Rating in Segment 3.
- Wire Reinforced Safety Glass should only be selected when impact hazards are immanent, due to viewing obstructions created by wire.
- Please provide custom mounting frame and door material, window material and mounting frame and door finish specifications in writing at time of order.
- Die Cast Zinc Compression Latch Material is suitable for NEMA 12, 4 and 4X Ratings, but Stainless Steel Latch Material is recommended for highly corrosive atmospheres.
- Key Operated Compression Latch Operators require a special key to operate. One (1) key is supplied with each unit, but extra keys are available on request.
- Tool Operated Compression Latch Operator requires a 5/32″ hex (allen) head tool to operate (not supplied)
Please consult a Best Purging Systems Corporation Sales Associate for more information and PIAD customization.